In 2004, I received my Doctorate in Biochemistry et Molecular Biology at the University Pierre & Marie Curie (Paris VI). In the 15 years that followed, I gained valuable academic, managerial and private skills while pursuing postdoctoral work. My experiences in the domain of biotechnology and bioprocesses has led me to work on the research and development of therapeutic tools, primarily in gene transfer technology.
In 2014, I was actively participating in research at the Centre Scientifique de Monaco(CSM). Our work was focused on genetic diseases, which later allowed me to initiate a collaboration with a team in the department of marine biology.
Our discovery of the beneficial properties of inherent coral molecules led me to create CORALIOTECH, a start-up defined by its ‘know-how’ in biotechnology. Our goal is to valorize these products commercially while developing our scientific understanding of this unexplored domain.
(2) Malcher J, Heidt L, Goyenvalle A, Escobar H, Marg A, Beley C, Benchaouir R, Bader M, Spuler S, García L, Schöwel V. Exon Skipping in a Dysf-Missense Mutant Mouse Model. Mol Ther Nucleic Acids. 13:198-207. 2018.
(4) Buclez PO, Dias Florencio G, Relizani K, Beley C, Garcia L, Benchaouir R. Rapid, scalable and low cost purification of recombinant adeno-associated virus produced by baculovirus expression vector system. Mol Ther Methods Clin Dev. 2016 May 11;3:16035.
(5) Dias Florencio G, Precigout G, Beley C, Buclez PO, Garcia L, Benchaouir R. Simple downstream process based on detergent treatment improves yield and in vivo transduction efficacy of adeno-associated virus vectors. Mol Ther Methods Clin Dev. 2015 Jul 15;2:15024.
(7) Ferry A, Benchaouir R, Joanne P, Peat RA, Mougenot N, Agbulut O, Butler-Browne G. Effect of voluntary physical activity initiated at age 7 months on skeletal hindlimb and cardiac muscle function in mdx mice of both genders. Muscle Nerve. 2015 Nov;52(5):788-94.
(8) Vulin A, Barthélémy I, Goyenvalle A, Thibaud JL, Beley C, Griffith G, Benchaouir R, le Hir M, Unterfinger Y, Lorain S, Dreyfus P, Voit T, Carlier P, Blot S, Garcia L. Muscle function recovery in golden retriever muscular dystrophy after AAV1-U7 exon skipping. Mol Ther. 2012 Nov;20(11):2120-33.
(10) Ellinwood NM, Ausseil J, Desmaris N, Bigou S, Liu S, Jens JK, Snella EM, Mohammed EE, Thomson CB, Raoul S, Joussemet B, Roux F, Chérel Y, Lajat Y, Piraud M, Benchaouir R, Hermening S, Petry H, Froissart R, Tardieu M, Ciron C, Moullier P, Parkes J, Kline KL, Maire I, Vanier MT, Heard JM, Colle MA. Safe, efficient, and reproducible gene therapy of the brain in the dog models of Sanfilippo and Hurler syndromes. Mol Ther. 2011 Feb;19(2):251-9.
(11) Benchaouir R, Meregalli M, Farini A, D’Antona G, Belicchi M, Goyenvalle A, Battistelli M, Bresolin N, Bottinelli R, Garcia L, Torrente Y. Réhabilitation de la dystrophine humaine dans le modèle scid/mdx après greffe de cellules souches de patients DMD corrigées par saut d’exon. Med Sci (Paris). 2008 Jan;24(1):99-101. French article.
(12) Benchaouir R, Meregalli M, Farini A, D’Antona G, Belicchi M, Goyenvalle A, Battistelli M, Bresolin N, Bottinelli R, Garcia L, Torrente Y. Restoration of human dystrophin following transplantation of exon-skipping-engineered DMD patient stem cells into dystrophic mice. Cell Stem Cell, Vol 1, 646-657, 13 December 2007.
(13) Sylvie Bortoli, Benchaouir R, Valérie Duverger, Christelle Rochon, Clarisse Vandebrouk, Pierre Vaigot, Xavier Gidrol, Luis Garcia and Geneviéve Piétu. Functional and Molecular Characterization of SP Cell Population Isolated from Mouse Primary Myoblast Culture. Journal of Stem Cells, Volume 3, Issue 2, 2007.
(14) Israeli D, Ziaei S, Gjata B, Benchaouir R, Rameau P, Marais T, Fukada SI, Segawa M, Yamamoto H, Gonin P, Danos O, Garcia L. Expression of mdr1 is required for efficient long term regeneration of dystrophic muscle. Exp Cell Res. 2007 Apr 1.
(15) Benchaouir R, Stockholm D, Picot J, Rameau P, Neildez TMA, Landini G, Laplace-Builhé C, Paldi A. The origin of phenotypic heterogeneity in a clonal cell population in vitro. PLoS One. 2007 Apr 25;2.
(16) Benchaouir R, Picot J, Greppo N, Rameau P, Stockholm D, Garcia L, Paldi A, Laplace-Builhe C. Combination of quantification and observation methods for study of « Side Population » cells in their « in vitro » microenvironment. Cytometry A. 2007 Apr;71(4):251-7.
(17) Decraene C, Benchaouir R, Dillies MA, Israeli D, Bortoli S, Rochon C, Rameau P, Pitaval A, Tronik-Le Roux D, Danos O, Gidrol X, Garcia L, Pietu G. Global transcriptional characterization of SP and MP cells from the myogenic C2C12 cell line: effect of FGF6. Physiol Genomics. 2005 Oct 17;23(2):132-49. Epub 2005 Jul 20.
(18) Benchaouir R, Israeli D, Ziaei S, Rameau P, Gruszczynski C, Peltekian E, Danos O, Garcia L. FGF6 mediated expansion of a resident subset of cells with SP phenotype in the C2C12 myogenic line. J Cell Physiol. 2004 Dec;201(3):409-19.
(19) Benchaouir R, Rameau P, Decraene C, Dreyfus P, Israeli D, Pietu G, Danos O, Garcia L. Evidence for a resident subset of cells with SP phenotype in the C2C12 myogenic line: a tool to explore muscle stem cell biology. Exp Cell Res. 2004 Mar 10;294(1):254-68.
- Benchaouir R & Goyenvalle A. AAV-mediated exon-skipping for Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Muscle gene therapy 2nd edition. Chapter 20. 2019. Accepted
Having recently obtained my professional masters degree in 2017 in Applied Microbioly and Biological Engineering at the University of Paris-Saclay in Paris, I first met Dr. Benchaouir in 2015 while doing my masters research internships.
Thus, I began my career at the laboratory for Neuromuscular Diseases and Biotherapies (U1179 INSERM/UVSQ), working on a project aimed at developing therapeutic tools for gene transfer technology.
Over the last few years, working with Dr. Benchaouir has helped me develop my knowledge on cellular and molecular biology, biotechnologies and bioprocesses. Recently, I continued to work with this team as assistant engineer, and was responsible for the production of viral vectors for therapeutic applications.
In April 2018, I joined Dr. Benchaouir in Monaco, and I am now working as a bio-production engineer based on valorisation of innovative coral molecules, an original and fascinating project.
I joined the IPAG Business School « Grandes Écoles » program in order to have a general education in Business Administration. I had the opportunity to do an internship in MonacoTech, startup Center of Excellence, to discover entrepreneurship. Thanks to this internship I met Dr. Rachid Benchaouir and the Coraliotech project which immediately interested me a lot.
I like to travel and learn from others people and above all to discover other cultures, which is why I studied one semester in South Korea at Kyungpook National University. It was a very enriching social experience but also allowed me to study my Finance specialization differently.
When I came back, I started my Master’s degree in Finance Audit & Control specialising in corporate finance. I was therefore hired by Coraliotech to manage administrative and financial aspects and also to provide continuous knowledge thanks to my work-linked training.